Blogs

Week 1

So week one was interesting! We went to Polk County last Monday to pick up the bus. It was surprisingly way easier than expected that’s for sure. We had the maintenance men on hand to help us in getting the bus jumped (as it had been sitting for a while) and explained to Surge how to drive this behemoth of a machine. Surge got it in no time and off we went, 3 hours Northeast back to Daytona. The trip couldn’t be complete without torrential downpour of course. At one point I-4 was traffic jammed and I could barely see the bus in front of me. But other than that we had no issues whatsoever. We got it to our temporary location in Daytona where we’ll be prepping it to get it registered and ready for Missouri.

 

Now the fun part: removing the seats. From what we read we knew this would probably be the most tedious thing on the bus. We first removed all the bolts along the outside of the seats (bolts closest to the windows). This was not too bad for the most part, just a lot were corroded and a tad difficult to get out. But onto the hard part, Surge thought that taking an angle grinder to the inside bolts may be the easiest solution but that was not the case. With the exception of the few seats that were not easily accessible under the bus  the rest of the seats were removed by one person on the bus and someone else under the bus holding the nut for the bolt. It was lengthy to do it this way but worked efficiently enough. The angle grinder to ALL the inside bolts would have taken even longer.

So as of Day 3 the bus seats have been completely removed. We are planning on scrapping them but we aren’t sure what we will get for them, hopefully something worth the time and effort but we will see. We were told that the bus more than likely needs a battery as it needed a boost to start. However, we have been starting it every single day with no issues, which is great, one less mechanical thing to worry about. In fact, everything is running perfect, the oil pressure, water temp, etc are all normal. The only issue we have at the moment is that the rear signal lights don’t work (probably a bad fuse). We are going to address that issue at a later time when she is closer to getting on the road.

DSC_4104

One of the few seats left

After we got all the seats out we started removing all the metal trim on the floor. Once we got all that out we started working on removing the actual plywood floor. It was incredibly heavy as the rubber flooring added a ton of weight! As of day 7 we had scrapped the bus seats, a measly $38 but hey that’s still $38 dollars we didn’t have before. In this time frame Surge also started taking apart the dashboard for cleaning and modifying. He figured that the cockpit of the bus should be taken care of first since it will be utilized first when being driven all the way to Missouri and I think that makes a lot of sense.

For one week I sure feel like we got a lot accomplished. We in no way have unreal expectations that the bus will be transformed overnight. We know it’s going to take a loong time and a lot of hardwork, blood, sweat and tears. Week 2 coming soon as well!!

-Jamie

Standard

3 thoughts on “Week 1

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s